Saturday 1 December 2012

Another way of seeing

I'm not sure why, but I've set one of my cameras to shoot in black and white. Using RAW all this means is that the review on the back of the camera is in monochrome. When I import to the computer they are rendered in full colour. An early afternoon visit to the sandplant revealed more to look at. Different light, and yet again things had been moved around.

What's more thinking in black and white also seemed to make me look at things differently.




I also had another camera with me set to colour. Which didn't throw me for some reason. Even so on the computer I left all the shots as colour pictures. Quite what this proved I'm not sure. Certainly the better shots made in b&w worked that way, but they also worked in colour , only differently. After all they were seen in colour. I do think I was looking in a different way though. Thinking more in terms of tones than colours.

The sandplant project is, I'm pretty sure, drawing to a conclusion. It's not finished yet, but it's getting there. Of course if the place alters dramatically that could change. And there's the chance that if it doesn't change until spring I might find new things to photograph as the plants begin to grow and bloom. I do have a clearer idea of how it will all come together now though.


See gallery larger.

No comments: