Tuesday 19 January 2016

Feeling jaded

It's one thing to not feeling motivated to take photographs, but it's really frustrating when events and/or conditions conspire against you. It's not a lack of motivation, for a change, that's kept this blog quiet of late, but lack of opportunity. By the time I've got work out of the way it's either been going dark or raining - or both - for the last few weeks. What I need is a project of some kind that can be undertaken indoors or in the dark! It might be time to get my finger out and get the 'big project' under way in a considered manner. Then again...

I have managed to take a couple of  opportunistic 'church' photographs recently on my perambulations around the village. The ideas seem to be right, but I'm unsure about the execution.



Once more I have been let down by my sloppy technique. It's too easy to imagine that the wonderful technology in cameras and lenses these days automatically compensates for our failings. Autofocus can miss out. Particularly at the limits of closest focusing. The indications might be that focus has been attained, but it isn't always reliable. The same goes for image stabilisation. It does a remarkable job. But you still have to exercise good hand holding technique to get the best out of it. Being lazy I often forget this and end up with slightly blurry shots that should have been much sharper. One way to hide such a failing is to display or print the picture small. Like the one below!


Despite not getting down to anything 'serious' of late, there's always a photo opportunity to be found when you have something like my Lost Balls Found project on the go. Although I haven't photographed every ball I see for some time now it's been going so long that it's become a habit. This is number 363.



No comments: