Sunday 6 August 2017

Weather effects

It's typical of my luck that when I sort of plan something events will conspire against me. This summer's refusal to do what it says on the tin has seen me stay away from one agricultural show and get wet at another. While yesterday's show took place under mostly blue skies, and there was no need for a coat to keep warm, the showfield was a little muddy in places.

The knock-on effect of last winter's avian flu restrictions continues and the poultry entries were down on numbers. Budgies and rabbits, being unaffected by avian flu, seemed well represented, however. Budgie showing doesn't interest me much, and the rabbit fancy isn't much more appealing. Both seem a bit weird to me. I guess poultry showing has become normal to me now!

Of the regular sections at these shows it's horses and sheep that appeal to me as subjects. I'm no fan of horses as animals, I find them stupid creatures, but the formalities and conventions of th  'scene' is fascinating. In a Martin Parr sort of way.

Horsey women judges seem to favour hats of a certain style, and there's the riders' attire which seems to make them look regimented.


There's also a dress code in the heavy horse ring, although it's somehow more workmanlike and less showy. The shires and their adornments make good subjects, and I'm sure there could be a body of work to be made about them.



Wandering around these shows class divides become apparent' Not the old one based on financial wealth, but the new divide of town and country made obvious by the division of attire. There are notable differences, some more subtle than others.

Mostly I spent my time around the sheep pens. These smaller shows seem to be more aimed at country folk rather than townies having a day out. There was more animal feed and farm machinery on display than clothing and nick-nacks. Although I did buy myself a new flat cap. The whippet can wait.

Sheep are unbiddable creatures. While this gives them a reputation for being stupid I think they just know their own minds. Minds which always find the grass on the other side of sheep netting tastier than that inside their pen or field.



The junior handler sections are always entertaining. Most in the pygmy goat section, which I arrived too late to spend much time with, were able to manage their tiny charges. With children as young as three showing off sheep it was a different matter. One poor lad ended up in tears after his lamb flattened him.


I was hoping to take some ideas I'd begun to formulate at this show to another on Tuesday, but a check on-line this morning revealed it to have been cancelled owing to the recent and predicted weather. See what I mean about my luck? I start to get a handle on how to approach the agricultural show scene and I'm thwarted!

More sheep pictures here.

No comments: